Wednesday, July 19, 2006

New Comic Day July 19

Almost caught up to the present-day with this installment.

Ultimate X_men #72

I'm on the fence (Eamon Graeme reference!) about this issue. On the one hand we see the Magician kick a LOT of ass, but on the other, not much else goes on. The battle seems to be just filler to get to the twist at the end which is a bit disappointing. However, it might just be my way of looking at it and Kirkman might just be setting up lots of sub-plots like in Invincible which I really like. I think I can make a better judgement nest issue.

The back up story with the Masked Marvel was kind of cute as it features the theme of a comic about comics which is a good idea in principle. In this case, though it's kind of interesting, it's Marvel trying to milk the fans for opinions on new characters (there's a plug for the marvel site and a feedback e-mail) which would be better served as an online endeavour only.


Eternals #2

Neil Gaiman might be falling flat with this series. While issue #1 had some cool moments, this one seems to only serve the purpose of introducing two of the Eternals to each other while not much else happens. Icarus is tortured in creative ways so I guess that's something, but we all know how that's going to turn out thanks to goddamn Previews. I'm thinking of dropping this title, but unfortunately, since I order stuff two months in advance, I'm already obligated to get up to issue #4, so another two won't hurt. I still have some faith in Gaiman though to turn it up a notch soon.


Justice League of America #0

I liked this issue despite the odd structure it had. To show the importance of the JLA and the link between the big three (Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman), the writer, Brad Meltzer, shows various points of the JLA history as well as possible futures. In other words he switches from scenes taking place "yesterday" to those which happen "tomorrow". It took a few pages before realizing what was going on, but I think it works despite the fact that introducing future continuity is likely a BAD idea. Ultimately the issue ends with a scene taking place "today" where the big 3 get together after the one year later business to discuss who will be on the new team. I think Meltzer captures the spirit of the JLA with this one and each different era is distinct from the others, both in look and the character's personality. There is an ensemble cast of artists on this issue and all of them do a good job, though Ed Benes pulls regular artist duty next issue. I think I'll be getting this either monthly or in trade form as there is just something so appealing about the JLA - these larger than life heroes battling larger than life threats. I'm sorry that I let go of my Grant Morrison run...

Franklin Richards: Son of a Super Genius Super Summer Spectacular

Not too much to say about this one except that it is a very cute and humourous comic similar in style to Calvin and Hobbes. This issue consists of short strips where Franklin gets into trouble and H.E.R.B.I.E. has to bail him out and try to teach him the error of his ways. Marc Sumerak does a great job at facial expressions of both Franklin and H.E.R.B.I.E. (despite his being a robot - H.E.R.B.I.E. not Sumerak), ranging fromterror, inquisitiveness, boredom, and excitement. Good stuff all around and I think I will get these comics whenever they come out.


Elephantmen #1

Another something that is outside the norm for me. In the world of Hip Flask, SCIENCE! has created animal-human hybrids (kind of) for the purposes of running around in battlefields and killing lots of other animal-human hybrids. However, the wars are over, and the surviving animals are left to eek out a living in any way that they can. The main story is told via a little girl named Savannah and her meeting with Ebony the elephant as he sits alone and forelorn on a city bench. The dichotomy between Savannah's innocence and the flashbacks to Ebony's gruesome past is well done and makes for an interesting read. The artwork is pretty as it features big animals carrying guns and making scary faces. Showing expression on weird shaped animal heads must be tough, but Moritat does a great job. I may have to start getting this on a monthly basis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home