Wednesday, March 09, 2005

New Comic Day March 9

The following comics/magazines are ones that I purchased today:

Fables #35



If this book has one failing, it's the artwork. Maybe it's supposed to look like a fairy tale book or something, but I don't particularly care for it. The story on the other hand is really original and enjoyable. This issue is the second part of "Jack Be Nimble" which details Jack's exploits in Hollywood. He is the ultimate underdog and the way Willingham writes him, you find yourself rooting for him every step of the way. This was a good 2-parter, but some may be annoyed with the ending in some respects.

Superman #214



Once again Jim Lee brings a very refreshing flair to the man of steel. Azzarello on the other hand spins a story so confusing and odd that I really wonder why I bought this run. Maybe if I sit down and read all 12 issues together it will make more sense and at least make me feel somewhat justified in spending $40+. If you want some cool artwork, go for this series. If you want a good Superman story, try Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale's "Superman for All Seasons".

Ultimate Fantastic Four #16



I never really liked the FF, despite it being somewhat more science oriented than most comics. My tune changed when this book came out. It is a very well written series, by all the writers that have worked on it. Issue 16 is part four of the negative zone arc and brings us face to page with Ultimate Annihilus. Every issue makes me hungry for the next: a good indication that the creative teams are doing their job well.

Wizard Movie Issue



I should have put more thought into this purchase. Despite showing Dr. Doom's outfit for the upcoming movie and an interview with Brian Singer (who will be directing the next Superman movie), there was not much substance to this issue. Save yourself $6.95+tax and wait until the movies and the director's commentary on DVD come out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home