Thursday, August 11, 2005

New Comic Day August 10

Fables #40


Finally, the Adversary is revealed! I won't tell you who it is, but it's someone that's been mentioned although never seen. I was a bit disappointed myself, since I guessed at it a long while back and I wanted to be surprised. However, the explantion was pretty cool and it makes sense. We see a captured Boy Blue have an interview with the Adversary and I'm looking forward to seeing how he will get out of the Homelands (assuming he does that is). I'm sure people will be pleased and upset with this issue depending if they figured it out like I did or not. A whorthwhile pickup if you've been with the series for a while, but definately not something to read to get into the series.

JLA #117


This was sort of a lackluster issue and the only redeeming point is the end where Superman is faced by the "League within a League" and their decision to vote on the fate of the defeated Secret Society of Super Villains. My guess is that Superman will vote to wipe their minds again, adding further tension between the big three. There's still two parts to this arc and I'm thinking next issue will be Zatanna doing her thing and #119 will be the aftermath leading into Infinite Crisis (which ships the same week). I'm so DC's whore for buying all these tie-ins...

Ultimates Annual #1


The concept of annuals was very prevelent in the 80's and 90's but they fell to the wayside. I really liked them and some Batman and Superman ones come to mind as personal favorites. It's good to see Marvel taking the initiative and bringing them back. This was a very good issue, made better by the fabulous art of Steve Dillon of Preacher fame. It follows the backup super heroes S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Hazard Intervention, Espionage and Logistics Directorate)has created. That in itself is interesting, but as well there is the political aspect as well. By creating and deploying mwta-humans, the states and other countries are kind of entering into a new arms race: who can create the bigger and better super-soldier for example. The cool thing is that if super heroes existed in the real world, this is probably what would happen.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #22


I really enjoyed the surprise factor of this current storyline. Everyone thought it would be a big crossover with the original marvel universe but instead we get a does of zombie super-hero cannibals! I wonder if it will be explained how the original host got the zombie virus or if the final part will just be a zombie bash-fest. I'm really glad Mark Millar is back on the title. I'm not really sure about Grag Land's art though even though he's supposed to be a superstar.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, John. Came across the site while looking up Vancouver comic stuff (doing a signing at Big Pete's in North Van tomorrow), and wanted to say it looks cool. Enjoyed the reviews. Keep it up!

8:21 p.m.  
Blogger JG said...

Thanks alot! Its good to know that people are actually visiting my site. Bonus that someone actually in the industry has seen it.

And I will keep it up as long as I can sucker free webspace from UBC.

I don't know if you're familiar with the Vancouver comicshop scene, but Elfsar Collections (my shop of choice and there's a link on my site) has signings and events of that nature every now and then and I'm sure they'd love to have you drop in.

3:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Cheeseburger, I came across your site while doing a search on Marvel superheroes. Even though you don't have exactly what I'm looking for, your site did provide for quite an interesting read. Thanks!

12:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cheeseburger, I came across your site while doing a search on comic book super heroes. Although you don't have exactly what I'm looking for, your site did provide for quite an interesting read. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

11:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home