Thursday, August 18, 2005

New Comic Day August 17

Well today is my 23rd birthday and I can think of no better gift than to get new comics (well, I can, but this is a family oriented Blog). Here are the ones that I got today:

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel #5


Here is the conclusion to a worthwhile series. We see Lex orchastrate an elaborate plan to lessen Superman's name in the public eye. Although the story kind of jumps around (ie. the Superman/Batman fight in issue 2 or 3) the main isea is that Lex wants humanity to strive for perfection but he feels they can't when they're already in its prescence. It was an ok series but worth it just to see Lex's perspective on things. Brian Azzarello can't really write Superman stories though in my opinion and he seem to loses focus throughout the story. Lee Bermejo's artwork, however, is very good in this issue and I really like the tweaking of Superman's costume and his physical apperance. Nice that DC actually allows a little creative freedom in this area.

The Walking Dead Series


So I spoiled myself for my birthday and got the trades for The Walking Dead which, in total, collects the first 18 issues of the series. I was staying away from this for a while even though it's pretty popular and I don't really have a reason why other than I was trying to save money. However, I'm glad I got in a TPB mood and got these because it is very good. If you don't know the premise, it focusses on a character named Rick Grimes and his family, along with a bunch of other people trying to survive in a "post-apocolyptic" world where zombies are running rampant. You might be groaning at that, but there is much less focus on the zombies than the survivors and the characterization thereof. It's more of a how-to guide to survive in a zombie infested world and I really enjoy the pacing and the shock value of some of the events that occur. However, if you choose to get this series, I strongly suggest getting the trades rather than getting it monthly. Not only will you save money, but the story is such that you want to devour a buttload of issues in one sitting rather than just get a taster every month.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

8:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home