Saturday, April 29, 2006

Holy $#%!, A New Post!!

Hello,

I apologize for my lack of posting in the last few months. But today marks my triumphant return to the Blogosphere! What was the catalyst for this momentous occasion you might ask, well I'll tell you.

As far as comics go, I find it difficult to know what is good or what I will like. Since I started collecting comics, Wizard: The Comics Magazine has been their for me, showing what is out there. Over the years though, Wizard has become just a conduit with which DC and Marvel can advertise (or so it seems anyway), and they show little in the way of small-press material. Despite this degradation of a once critical and objective magazine, I continue to buy it to stay current with big events and movie news. "Where is this going?" you might be asking. Well occasionally, Wizard has articles showcasing the top 100 of something. In issue #60 it was "The 100 Comics That Every Modern Day Collector Should Own." More recently, there was a "Top 100 Trade Paperbacks of All Time." I have used these articles to track down what Wizard thinks are high quality comics. Regardless of their publishing practices, they do a good job and the comics they pick are generally good.

So onto the purpose of this historic return to the Internet. In issue #175 a new article was published entitled "Wizard ranks the 100 Best Single Issues Since You Were Born." It has been a LONG time since I went on an old fashioned comic hunt and it felt good to walk into The Comic Shop today and spend over an hour scouring the bins for my goodies. I spent $80 which is a lot, but worth it for high quality comics. The only bad thing is an apparent error in Wizard or the Fantastic Four comic I got...The Volume and issue # I picked up matched the one Wizard listed, but the story is obviously wrong... Anyways, something else to track down.

I will make a spreadsheet listing all the comics and which ones I already had and continue to pick up so you can all watch my progress.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scholarly Warrior said...

I haven't read the post yet. I had to tell you immediately how happy I am that you're back on blogger. I knew that my checking everyday wasn't in vain; I had faith that you'd return to us.

/A man so deeply in debt doesn't deserve any.

10:57 p.m.  
Blogger Scholarly Warrior said...

Nothing beats old-fashioned dicking around, whether it's comic hunting, clothes shopping, video games, or just plain wandering (Daniel).

Your description of Wizard reminds me of The Coast here in Hali. I'm not sure if it used to be great like Wizard did, but it is full of advertisements now. Dal's paper, The Gazette, is much more fulfilling.

You think $80 is a lot? I've seen you drop twice that at Lightning Bolt and you didn't even raise an eyebrow.

/goin' to the science-fiction convention on Friday?

12:24 p.m.  
Blogger JG said...

Well that time at LB was before I had to worry about $1000/month rent and other misc. bills.

/one more time for the ladies

5:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home