Thursday, August 25, 2005

For Tomorrow Review

Since I'm not getting comic this week because I'm away from my comic shop, I decided to try something a little different this time around. I recently re-read the Brian Azzarello and Jim Lee arc called "For Tomorrow," that ran from issues 204-215. So I decided to review the year-long run after digesting the material in one sitting rather than the original 12 months. I didn't care for it the first time around, but again that may be due to the month long wait between issues, not going back and re-reading. Anyways, here are the covers and the review.



When I first started reading this series, I thought the story was complete garbage and not very well put together at all. Upon a second reading and one that was all in one sitting, I've revised that initial proclamation and updated the story to only mild garbage. There was an overtone of faith and belief throughout the arc which was kind of annoying and once again DC gives us a story that only comes together in the last two issues. The part where Superman created a haven within the Phantom Zone was cool, but more explanation was needed like how exactly he did it. I liked Azzarello on 100 Bullets, but Superman he just can not do.

Jim Lee's art is always fun to look at and that's what really saves this arc. However, what's with Zod's outfit? It looks retarded with that big Z on it. There was no need of that. Even though he's a general, he doesn't seem to be the type to wear armour, especially crappy armour. The designs for Metropia were good and the fight between Supes and Wonder Woman was really well done.

Another interesting thing was the link to Infinite Crisis. The thing they turned the priest into was One Man Army Corps number four and the silhouette looked very much like one Maxwell Lord. It is pretty neat to see the different seeds they planted for October's big event when you look back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home