Saturday, May 06, 2006

Free Comic Book Day 2006

My FCBD lasted a good two hours. Elfsar, my preferred comic shop in the Vancouver area, always makes Free Comic Book day a huge event. Last year I arrived when the doors opened at 11am and I was pretty much the only one there. This year I got there about 11:10 and the place was packed! There was a good 30 people in there snatching free comics left, right and centre. I was very pleased to see the large turnout of young people (ie. kids) as comics are a gateway to reading. And reading is good, m'kay.

They had all the comics setup on a table with a buffet-line going around. You were allowed as many titles as you wanted, but only one of each (which I think is reasonable). I feel sorry for the poor employee who had to supervise the table to keep things orderly and in nice stacks. A downside was a few jerks who didn't understand why they couldn't just take huge stacks of the free comics.

They also had several creators in such as Darren Davis and Diana Greenhalgh of Victoria Secret Service fame, the owner of Arcana studios, Sean O' Reilly, and Todd Demong, a Star Wars Artist.

There were also free heroclix demos and the best part was the storewide sale. Prett much anything in the store was buy 2 of something, get the third free. For example: if I want 2 Grant Morrison New-Xmen trades, I get a third trade free. I took advantage and bought 67 bags/boards and got 33 free. I also picked up 3 issues of Robotika. As well there was a back issue sale where you buy one, get 10% off, 2 and 20% off, etc.. up to 50% for 5 and up.

All in all it was a successful FCBD for myself and the store (I was in again on Sunday and they said they had at least 500 people through in the day) and props to Elfsar for promoting it so well.

Another year, another Free Comic Book Day. Once again my comic shop, Elfsar did an incredible job promoting this event. As a neato-keen bonus, I found another issue for the "100 Best Single Issues Since You Were Born." That comic was Batman/Planetary. Anyhoo, I'm off to read some comics and piss away the afternoon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scholarly Warrior said...

Perhaps all of those young folks got wind of your presentation from grade 12 where you persuade people that comic books are a legitimate source of literature.

Speaking of that class, Derrick and I still never found our damned MacBeth comic book.

/Sacre bleu!

11:34 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home