Wednesday, May 11, 2005

New Comic Day May 11

Here are the comics/magazines I purchased today

Astonishing X-men #10


Here we get to see the big throwdown between the X-men and the sentient, walking, talking, ass-kicking Danger Room. Not at all what you'd expect and I was genuinely surprised at the outcome. In previous posts, I have commented that this second storyline wasn't as strong as the first, but this issue has things starting to come together and I have a feeling the next two issues should be really good. Not only can Joss Whedon write good TV but he can do damn good comics too. Cassidy's artwork is what I think of when I think of the X-men so I guess that means he's doing a good job.

Fables #37


Even though this arc is only two issues in length, it is probably one of my favorites in the series. We actually get to see the Homelands and see what's been going on since the big exile. Boy Blue isn't just some pansy that plays a horn (what he seemed like for the first 25 issues or so) but rather is an experienced fighter and is a one man killing machine (with the help of some magical items of course). I can't wait until next month when the Adversary is finally revealed.

Green Lantern: Rebirth #6


This wraps up the mini-series bringing Hal Jordan back as Green Lantern and I must say this issue was a bit of a letdown. Sure there was the big fight with Parallax, and the Corps is now together again, but there didn't seem to be a real sense of closure with this mini. I guess this is because they want you to go out and buy the new series, which I won't be doing (Carlos Pacheco = yuck). Hhhmm, now that I think about it, if Hal is supposed to be the guardian for Earth's sector, then why are there so many Lanterns from Earth? Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart... seems rather fishy to me.

Ultimate Spider-man #77


Also another letdown this week was the conclusion to the Hobgoblin arc. A big fight with an ending telling us about bad things that are going to happen to Peter via Nick Fury blah blah blah. How Harry got his powers wasn't explained to my satisfaction and neither was Harry's imaginary friend. Thumbs down for this storyline. This is the last issue of this series I'll be picking up on a regular basis and I think I'm going to re-evaluate my list at Elfsar to see what consistantly entertains me on a monthly basis.

1 Comments:

Blogger JonBen said...

Fuck, all of those covers look wiked :)

3:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home