Thursday, June 02, 2005

New Comic Day June 1

Here are the comics I purchased today:

WE3 Trade Paperback

I was pretty blown away by this three issue mini-series. Morrison's tale of three cybernetically enhanced animals (a dog, cat and rabbit) is very well done and is made more so by Frank Quitely's art and pacing. Several of the pages had a style that I've not really seen before. For example, during the breakout scene there were 4 pages of 18 or so panels each which really slowed down the action to the benefit of the reader! As well, different panel shapes and sizes offered a refreshing visual experience. I could easily see this comic being made into a movie, sort of a Homeward Bound meets Terminator type dealy. Anyways, I highly recommend this trade and here are some more shots of the interior artwork.




Y: The Last Man #34


This was somewhat of a lackluster issue and we see 355 kind of act out of character by yelling at Yorrick. More detail is given as the to the nature of the heroin operation being run, but I didn't really find it interesting. I really want the reason for all the men's death's to become clear/ I realize that's what the book is about, but I feel it's being dragged out a bit too much. At this point in the story, I'm just looking for 355 and Dr. Mann to get bizay again.

Strange #6


This wraps up the mini-series and it did not meet my expectations. I felt the Dormammu fight was way too short and I didn't care for how Strange got godlike. I figured under the extreme stress of the situation, something would open up inside him and enable his inert powers, rather than the Ancient One sending his power to Strange before he died. It didn't seem like Strange was really special and was simply given great power, which didn't really work for me. However, the issue did have some good points. I enjoyed the idea of Strange having to sacrifice everything he ever knew in order to be the sorceror supreme. The artwork was also quite good, despite the cover not being as cool as last month's.

Superman/Batman #20


I didn't really want to get this issue, but was obligated to buy it because I cancelled it after Elfsar had already ordered it. Not a big deal really. This issue starts a new storyline that seems as confusing as the last one. That's one thing about comics lately that really starting to annoy me. The writer's have a story arc in mind, but instead of making each issue of the arc consistent and enjoyable, they make them really confusing for the first 2/3 of it (usually 4 issues) then start explaining stuff in the last few issues. I read comics to be entertained and this method does not do a good job. This is also part of the reason why I stopped getting Ultimate Spider-man. The Hobgoblin arc was SO dragged out, and a few of the issues lacked any real substance. This is the last SB issue I'll get.

Invincible #23


On a similar note to the rant in SB #20, the fact that there aren't really story arcs in Invincible is what makes this series so great. Every issue is consistent and enjoyable without the subplots and forshadowing over-powering the story. #23 is no exception and it was written a little differently that other issues. There were references made to events that happened in previous issues and an editor's text box telling you what issue to find it in. This harkens back to the pre-90's comics where these notes were everywhere in DC and Marvel comics and I thought it was pretty neat. There aren't many times in comics when my eyes bulge out in surprise/shock, but turing the page to see the result of the Viltrumites beating on Allen the Alien. It was like "wow". Again this is why this comic is so good. It actually gives the reader "wow" moments. It's one of the few comics that does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home