Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Comic Collector Program

Hey folks,

I've been made aware, by Jon Ben, of a program called Comic Collector. In short, you can enter all your comic book information and it presents it in a nice, visually appealing way. I played around with it for about 6 hours last night logging some 66 comics into my database. Mark, if you're reading this, then this would be a good program to get.

Although the payoff is nice, the program definately has a drawback: you have to input EVERYTHING yourself. This is fine if you're just getting started in the collecting hobby, but if you have thousands of comics like I do, then it can be a real pain. This failing comes about because there is no online database for comics and comic information. I would like to see the big publishers collaborate to come up with a program like this and have it so if you type in Ultimate Spider-man #60, the cover and all the credits and publishing information come up automatically. Despite this time consuming task, I kind of enjoy it because it gives me an excuse to look through all my comics.

You can literally spend years with this program if you have an extensive collection and if you're a perfectionist like me. I say this because not only can you input the comic information mentioned above, but you can fill in which characters appear in the comics so you can then search your collection for all your books that have that character. A nice feature in my opinion. As well, the program also offers statistical information such as number of comic by a given writer, or with a character in it. Furthermore, it gives me an idea of how much I spend on comics because it keeps track of cover prices as well.

If you're interested, you can download the trial version here. I'll also post a permanent link on the sidebar as well as my collection file which you can download to see exactly what I have in my collection. Furthermore, to help out anyone who chooses to use this program or another one, I'll post some links to websites that have a good amount of cover images that you can associate with your collection.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I used an earlier version of this program with terrible results. I tediously added in my thousands of comics and then it wouldn't display the list. Wouldn't print the list. Can't port the list to another file type. I couldn't find the comics I'd put in - a complete waste of time and I had to start all over again - this time using Excel. I'm surprised to hear that since then (3-4 years ago) they haven't improved the entry process. I completely agree that they should have the information automatically loaded! By the way, I'm looking to sell my collection. Do you know of any good places to sell a collection besides eBay? Thanks, Kelly

9:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home